Friday, December 6, 2013

Successful Practices: Optimizing the use of e-mail in your online course

If you are teaching an online course, be it synchronous or asynchronous, e-mail is an essential tool in your communication strategy. It is an effective way to communicate with one or many students, as well as a means for students to reach out to you. As mentioned in a previous post, e-mail can be a blessing, but it can also be a curse if you do not manage student expectations (and your own!) by establishing a pro-active communication strategy.

One of the frequent conversations I have with fellow faculty is how to optimize the use of e-mail to maximize the effectiveness of online instructors. Here are a few things I have learned over the years when using e-mail in my online courses:

1.       Create a dedicated e-mail account for your online course.
One of my first suggestions when starting a new online course is to create a separate, dedicated e-mail address for the course. This allows me to share the e-mail account with others (e.g., teaching assistants), and aggregates all course-specific correspondence into a dedicated space that is much easier to organize. I also use this same e-mail to send any correspondence to the class (as opposed to my work or personal e-mail). This makes it easier for me to find sent messages or to reuse them from one semester to another.

2.       Use the autoreply feature to confirm the receipt of e-mail.
I was quite surprised by the number of messages I was getting from over-anxious students who needed to know if I had received their assignments. All they needed was my confirmation that the file got through so they could enjoy piece of mind. However, unlike when you complete an online transaction and get a “confirmation number” or at least some sort of message confirming the transaction, e-mail does not provide this reassurance …unless you turn on your “autoreply” feature (also known as the “I’m on vacation” reply).

So if you are using a dedicated e-mail address for your online course, my suggestion is to use the autoreply feature to send a message like this one: 
Hello,

This is to confirm that we have received your e-mail. If it is an assignment, it will be added to the queue. If it is a question, it will be answered shortly.

This is an automated message. Please do not respond to it.

Thank you,

The (enter course name) Instructional Team

 
As an added measure, I suggest to my students to CC or BCC themselves on any assessments they send via e-mail, not just to ensure that they got through, but also to “save” them in case they need to find them at a later time (cloud-based storage spaces such as Google Drive, Skydrive, and Dropbox can also do the trick).

3.     Reuse answers to common questions can be reused in other replies, and to identify content gaps.
With some exceptions, the e-mail messages I typically get from the students are not unique. They ask questions about particular content, they need clarifications for a given assessment, they want to know how to study to optimize their performance on the upcoming quiz, etc... If I decide that an e-mail warrants a lengthier-than-usual response and it requires some additional effort on my part, then I will look for a way to avoid a “one and done” situation.

If I judge that the question and response would benefit the entire class (i.e., it deals with a common issue), I may post it directly to the discussion board (I would remove the name of the student unless I have their permission to include it). In those cases, I would thank the student for their excellent question and let them know that I deemed it worthy enough to be shared with the class via the DB. The goal here is obviously to avoid additional similar questions, but also to encourage the use of the DB as a useful forum for these types of resources.

There are also situations where I have found myself copying the question and my response and saving these in a separate file. I would then call upon this file in following semesters to find the responses, and share them with the teaching assistants as they needed it, and more importantly, this method helps to identify opportunities to “tighten up” the content as I prepare for the next offering. I oftentimes BCCed myself so that I could store certain replies and review them at semester’s end. This exercise has helped me with the continual improvement of the course by refining existing content, adding remedial explanations, clarifying instructions, and if needed, scheduling live virtual office hours when I suspect that the questions are forthcoming.

4.       Embrace the power of mass e-mail
E-mail is my preferred method for sending out mass communications to my class. I will use it to send out the welcome message at the beginning of the semester, reminders for upcoming deadlines, announcements, general tips, etc… Despite the fact that the discussion board might be the most useful tool for Q&A and to get the pulse of the class, e-mail is effective because of its simplicity and its ubiquitous acceptance as the preferred method of communication with students. Let’s face it, students are more likely to check their e-mail than to log into the course website and verify the discussion board. The behaviour to check their e-mail regularly is already established, and they can do so from many different devices. In this era of free e-mail services, the challenge is to make sure that the e-mail address you are using is their “preferred” one…something that I try to establish at the beginning of the semester when I tell my students that the e-mail they use when they create their account with the university is the one I will be using to communicate with them.

Of course, sending a mass e-mail out can also increase the chances of getting individual replies from students, potentially increasing your own inbox traffic. But I have found that the use of pro-active mass e-mailing has in fact reduced the amount of e-mail I have been receiving. It all comes down to the timing of the communication. Given that I know the types of questions that are imminent as certain deadlines approach, I will not wait until the questions come flooding in to address them. This is where the communication plan is key (see previous blog entry on survival tips to manage communication). Additional follow-up questions can be handled on the discussion board, or perhaps you could consider redirecting students to other resources on the website for more information.

5.       Get your e-mail opened!
The true test of the effectiveness of any e-mail you send is that the recipient opens and reads it. What’s the point of taking the time to craft a useful and informative e-mail that nobody reads? In a classroom setting I have a good idea how many students “got the message” because they are physically present and I have their attention (for the most part). But when dealing with e-mail, I do not have that luxury. So how do I increase the chances that my e-mail, which is competing for attention in my student’s inbox with everything else, is opened and read?

Here are a few things that have worked for me:
·         I try not to inundate my students with e-mail.

o   If I send out too much it eventually becomes noise like any other SPAM people typically ignore. I try to limit my mass messages to one a week, as per my communication plan.
 
·         I do my best to make the messages useful.

o   If my students expect to find something useful in the messages, they will get into the habit of opening them. What useful for a student? Tips and hints on how to improve their grades!
 
·         I try to keep the messages short and sweet.

o   I don’t read long e-mail messages…I scan them for important points first, and then look at details. The shorter the e-mail, the greater the chance that I will read it entirely. This is the same for my students (if not worse!), so I do my best to get to the point right away and push them to other spots on the course website for additional details. This is something I am still working on improving!
 
·         I use formatting features when I think they can be useful.

o   This point relates to the previous one about “scanning” for important information. I will bold, CAPITALIZE, and use italics when I want to emphasise something (e.g., deadlines). I will also use bullets and “to-do” lists for instructions.
 
·         I use the subject line to get their attention.

o   One thing that I came to realize as I researched ways to optimize my e-mail is the importance of the subject line. Think about what influences your decision to open an e-mail: you start by looking at the sender’s name (or address if the name is not specified). If you recognize that e-mail or person, there is a higher chance that you’ll go to the next step, the subject line. Those 6-10 words that appear in the subject line are crucial in the decision to open the e-mail…and this is where words like “Deadline,” “Exam,” “Respond by,” and “Important” increase the chances of this happening.
For more ideas on how to optimize the chances that my e-mail will be opened, I have turned to those pests who send me spam messages (i.e., e-mail marketing), as well as to research about response rates with surveys. For example, I found that http://www.copyblogger.com/37-email-marketing-tips/ had some useful ideas, as did the article Return to Sender: Improving Response Rates for Questionnaires by Jack and Patti Phillips (Performance Improvement, August 2004, see: www.ispi.org).

Whereas an internet marketer would rate the success of their campaign with conversion rates, my indicator would include fewer questions, better performance on assessments, and reduced dropout rates.
The danger of teaching an online course, especially when enrolments are high, is the potential of the inbox swelling to the point where communication is no longer manageable (call it inboxititis?). On the other hand, if used effectively, e-mail can actually save the online instructor countless hours of needless work.

Over the years I have found that not only has my volume of e-mails decreased (despite increasing enrolments), but when I do answer e-mail, I devote more time to crafting an effective response because I know that this investment of my time will pay dividends because it will not be immediately followed by more questions.
E-mail is not the only tool that I use to manage communications in my online course. In the next blog entry, I will discuss how the discussion board has gradually become the most important method of communication with my class, and present the strategies I used to foster its use.  

No comments:

Post a Comment